Re: border-radius

On Thursday 2008-08-14 19:11 +0100, fantasai wrote:
> The effect of border-radius on internal table elements is undefined in
> CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders, but may be defined in a future specification.

I think this should be stronger than may; it should say must.

I don't think soliciting (potentially accidental) implementations of
an undefined feature is the right way forward here.  I'd rather have
tests in the test suite testing that it does nothing, so that the
first implementation is more likely from a knowledgable implementor
who's proposing a change to the spec than a less knowledgable one
who just didn't think of testing the combination of border-collapse
and internal table elements.

Without a use case, you're better off reserving the feature in case
a use case appears later.  The first use case I can think of is an
effect where border-radius makes the inside of the border curve, but
it stays solid through the outer edge of the border where it would
be without a radius.  This doesn't make any sense for dotted and
dashed borders, though.  In other words:

  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  XXXX^^                    ^^XXXXXXX^^                ^^XXXX
  XX^                          ^XXX^                      ^XX
  XX                            XXX                        XX
  X        First Cell            X     Second Cell          X
  XX                            XXX                        XX
  XXv                          vXXXv                      vXX
  XXXXvv                    vvXXXXXXXvv                vvXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Or did somebody else have some other behavior they wanted this to
yield?

But then there's the question of which behavior is desired along the
outside edge.  And also the question of what happens if multiple
internal table elements have border-radii.  I think this would be
quite difficult to design and implement, and actual use cases would
need to be considered.

-David