W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > October 2008

Re: [1.2T-LC] Inheritance of display-align (ISSUE-2168)

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:17:26 -0400
Message-ID: <490B1376.5000301@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Fantasai-

As discussed during the telcon (thanks for joining in), while we are
sympathetic to your argument, SVG can't change this because we reference
XSL for the 'display-align' property.

However, if CSS were to make a new property with a different name,
inheritance model, and property values, SVG would like to align with you
on that.  We look forward to working on that in the future with you.  I
have raised this as ISSUE-2170 for SVG 2.0 Core:

 http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2170

Please let us know if this satisfies your comment.

Thanks-
-Doug

fantasai wrote (on 10/29/08 2:19 PM):
> 
> Erik Dahlström wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:29:56 +0100, fantasai
>> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello SVGWG,
>>>
>>> Wrt http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#DisplayAlignProperty
>>>
>>> The CSS Working Group has been discussing a property that does exactly
>>> what's described in the SVG draft here (and also has an 'auto' initial
>>> value), but we would need the property to not inherit.
>>
>> It is useful for it to inherit in certain scenarios, such as when you
>> have
>> a number of 'textArea' elements that you want to have the same alignment
>> on. This may be more of a problem for SVG 1.2 Tiny since it doesn't
>> mandate
>> support for CSS stylesheets and CSS selectors.
> 
> I see what you mean. You want to set it on the container and have all the
> child textArea elements to inherit that setting.
> 
> In CSS we often have nested blocks, so the inheritance would really become
> a problem. Setting the alignment on an element would inherit through the
> entire tree. I'm guessing you aren't seeing this problem because textArea
> elements directly contain only text.
> 
>> Please elaborate on why the CSSWG thinks the property should not inherit.
> 
> If you're aligning the contents of a box to the bottom, you rarely want
> that alignment to nest. (Not inheriting is also consistent with the way
> 'vertical-align' works on table cells.)
> 
> For another thing, the values other than 'auto' have, in CSS, the side
> effect of turning the block into a block formatting context. (This affects
> float containment, margin collapsing, and other things.) This side effect
> would then inherit through the entire element.
> 
> Imagine, for instance, that I have a page layout with several component
> boxes and I want the contents of one box to align to the bottom. Inheriting
> the alignment property would cause all of its contents to have strange
> behavior, turning all boxes into block formatting contexts and causing the
> contents of any descendant boxes to also bottom-align.
> 
>>> Also, we've heard feedback that "before" and "after" are easily confused
>>> with "start" and "end". Not sure what to do about that.
>>>
>>> The CSSWG hasn't discussed SVG's display-align yet (I only just noticed
>>> its existence on my way home from TPAC), but I think it would be a good
>>> idea for us to do a little coordination here.
>>
>> Coordination sounds good to me, although the SVG WG hasn't discussed it
>> either yet.
> 
> So.. how'd it get into SVG 1.2 Tiny? :)
> 
>> Just curious, what CSS module wants to include this functionality?
> 
> CSS3 Box Module is the current top candidate. There's a sketch of a
> property
> based on our discussions in Bert's draft:
>   http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-box/#the-child-align
> 
> ~fantasai
> 
Received on Friday, 31 October 2008 14:17:41 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 April 2009 13:55:15 GMT