Re: [css3-mediaqueries] feedback on device-aspect-ratio, aspect-ratio and orientation

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:15:18 +1100
To: www-style@w3.org

Dean Jackson:
> We are interested in these features, but request changes.
>
> aspect-ratio and device-aspect-ratio
> ------------
>
> We think these should take a number (float) rather than a ratio (defined
> as a string). While ratio gives the same result it doesn't seem worth
> introducing a new type just for these queries.

Wouldn’t that make it difficult (or impossible, since css3-values says
numbers are reals rather than particular precision floats) to match some
aspect ratios like 4:3?  Wouldn’t the author then be forced to write
something like:

  (min-aspect-ratio: 1.333) and (max-aspect-ratio: 1.334)

?

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/