Re: Selectors Tests

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:16:35 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:
> Well, the Selectors spec is fixable. Daniel and I are actively
> editing it now. However I don't think I agree that :enabled/:disabled
> should not apply to type="hidden". The distinction does exist for
> hidden controls as well, does it not?

Indeed.  Disabled hidden inputs do not submit.

If that's the sort of distinction we want for :enabled/:disabled, that's
also fine by me; the spec text just needs to be adjusted to handle that,
then.

> An interesting question would be what happens if I write
>   input[type="hidden"] { display: inline; }
> Would I get nothing? A readonly input control? Something else?

I have no idea.  In Gecko, hidden inputs basically have a UA
"display:none!important", but there's nothing preventing other UAs from
doing something else, I guess...

-Boris