Re: [CSS21] stack level definitions in 9.9.1

L. David Baron wrote:
 > A testcase that one part of the spec says should be displayed in one
 > way and another part says should be displayed another way is
 > evidence of an error in the spec.  A testcase that the spec says
 > should be displayed one way but you believe should be displayed a
 > different way indicates a potential error in the spec (if your
 > belief is correct).
 >
 > Without one of those types of testcases, you haven't demonstrated an
 > error in the spec in a way that we can understand.

Thankyou for your explanation.

 > Your document is long and and does not clearly separate things that
 > are potentially confusing from those that are incorrect.

Indeed not; this was not a requirement for the document.  Instead I was
aiming to identify all the root logical problems from which specific
practical problems arise (and then, in the two supplementary proposal
documents referenced from within the main document, to suggest
rewordings which resolve all the root problems identified).

In response for your request for test cases, I have created the following:

http://dev.moonhenge.net/css21/spec/z-index/testcases/stacking-level-for-floats.html
(A problem concerning the stacking level for floats)

http://dev.moonhenge.net/css21/spec/z-index/testcases/stacking-level-for-floats-2.html
(A second problem concerning the stacking level for floats)

http://dev.moonhenge.net/css21/spec/z-index/testcases/stack-level-of-non-positioned-elements.html
(A problem concerning the stack level of non-positioned elements)

I hope that these illustrate the most pressing practical problems
successfully enough to enable the WG to assess them relatively quickly,
even if it chooses not to rectify them (or, of course, detects a flaw in
my reasoning).  If I still have not correctly understood your
requirements, please explain further and I will attempt to meet them again.

Cheers,

Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net