Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Comments on the last working draft

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:47:13 +0200
To: Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu@xwiki.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Wednesday 2008-10-22 19:02 +0200, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> A few comments on the media queries draft published on October 15th, 2008.

> Section 4.13, grid
> Typo: "Since the exact *with* of an ‘em’..."
>
> Also, I'm not sure that this phrasing best describes the situation. An
> 'em' always occupies exactly a cell, so we can easily determine this width.

I suppose the point is that you can't determine its value in
physical units (e.g., 'cm', 'in') and perhaps even 'px'.

> Should the 'ex' be also described, since it has a similar meaning?

Frankly, it seems a little odd to me for the media queries spec to
define what an 'em' means on tty devices.  It seems like that should
be left to the Values and Units spec.

> Section 5, Values
> Is 'solidus' the best term? Wikipedia states that the solidus is
> actually U+2044, maybe authors will be inclined to use that symbol
> instead of the forward slash.

I think Wikipedia is wrong here.  UnicodeData.txt from the Unicode
database describes U+2044 as "FRACTION SLASH" and U+002F as
"SOLIDUS".

-David