RE: [CSS3-page] Headers and Footers on Blank Pages

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 05:01:45 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Melinda said:
>Fantasai said:
>> Or in CSS4 Paged Media... I think CSS4 Paged Media should
>> start existing after CSS3 Paged Media hits CR: a lot of the
>> GCPM features would fit better in such a module.
>> A selector for blank pages generated by page breaks would
>> take care of this.

> I agree. Let's put this in the wiki future parking lot for now, and
> target some group discussion about a PM4.

All well and good, but it begs the original question of what we should specify for css3-page as the default.

I propose that for css3, we print margin boxes, page borders, and page backgrounds on blank pages. That leaves a clear path forward to add :blank to css4-page to control just what blank pages should look like, using 'visibility' or 'content'.  We do have at least two implementations with that behavior.

Best wishes,

Melinda S. Grant
Melinda Grant Consulting