[css3-page] Page area changes within a document

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:29:31 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Neither 2.1 nor http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page is clear about how print layout should be done when the page area changes within a document.

The page area can change when a different 'page' property is applied or when :right, :left, or :first page contexts are used.  Some possibilities:
    o the size of the medium being printed on changes (this is very rare in my experience)
    o the page orientation changes
    o the page margins/borders/padding changes

To address this deficiency, I propose to add the following (probably in a new sub-section 4.4):
        "Each page in turn is laid out as if the initial containing block were the same size as its page area."

And provide a couple examples, showing:
    o right-aligned content stays right-aligned;
    o content positioned relative to bottom right retains its relationship to bottom right;
    o percentages scale appropriately;
    o when an element is broken across pages and its width is 'auto', its width adapts to the page area width across pages.

Best wishes,

Melinda S. Grant
Melinda Grant Consulting