Christoph Päper wrote:

> I honestly cannot believe it! I'm really disappointed and not because it
> was my proposal. Is the CSS 3 _REC_ really considered just another draft
> of the CSS 4 REC?
>
> Text structure may of course seem unimportant compared to the technical
> correctness of the prose, but if you want people other than the
> specificators to read the specifications you should make them readable.
>
> It's all about making the spec understandable. Nobody except the editors
> has read it often enough to somehow rely on the evolutional structure or
> section numbers. Even if, "it's always been this way, people are used to
> it" never is a valid argument when it's the sole reason to keep something.
>
> This is a precedent. Other modules are structured just as badly for the
> same, historic reasons -- and when you don't change it as soon as you
> can you probably never will.

Ainsi soit-il.

First, it's not as if the spec was NOT understandable kept as is. Your
change proposal is a clarification, a better structure, but it's not
a mandatory change that is absolutely required to make the spec even
readable. Let's be serious a minute here, please.

Second, the proposed changes are enough reorganizing the document to
trigger necessary adaptations to some portions of the prose. We _don't_
want to run into that at this point of this spec's REC track.

The CSS Working Group is just like any other organization, it has
priorities. Reorg'ing this spec is a too low priority on our radar at
this time and would trigger too many changes.

</Daniel>
--
W3C CSS WG, Co-Chair