Re: [CSS21] What does 'text-transform: capitalize' mean, exactly?

From: <leslie.brown@evidian.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:10:48 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

> The spec currently says:
> # capitalize
> #     Puts the first character of each word in uppercase; other
> #     characters are unaffected.

My dictionaries say that capitalize means "put ALL the text in capitals"
but I guess it's too late to change the spec.

When I Worked with Printed Documents the Term We Used for Putting the
FIRST Character of Each Word in Uppercase was "initial caps." But the
Convention Was to Leave Minor Words, such as Prepositions, Articles, and
Latin Abbreviations like "i.e.", Entirely in Lowercase. I suspect that
this would be difficult to implement.

Also, if a future version of the spec introduces a "capitalize-all" text
transformation, what should happen to camel-case text like "WebKit"?

Les Brown