Re: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> "Named constants are in-scope from the point at which they are
>> declared until overridden by a later declaration."
>> It appears as CSS constants in order to be used in parse time
>> must obey following rules:
>>
>> 1) First seen - first used.
>>
>>   First declaration of the constant establishes its value.
>>   Later [re]declarations of the same constant must be ignored.
>
> I agree. Whatever it is, it is not a constant if a later rule can
> redefine it.

I think that main problem is in fact that different people have
different ideas about design goals of the @const/@var thing.

If the goal is to have declarative parametrization of CSS then
you need @constant - parse-time entities.

And if the goal is to provide runtime parametrization of CSS - so
to be able to change value of some named entity at any time then
we need @variables.

It appears as most of CSS authors need @constants.
As I said in previous message, @constant is a first-seen-first-used
thing. It is simply not possible to have any other resolution schema
in CSS for constants.

If we want to specify @variables then we probably need to rethink
the whole CSSOM idea. CSSOM and @variables have big area of overlapping
use cases.