Re: [css3-multicol] column overflow

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:41:27 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:

 > > How would it solve the problem at hand, though, if it only has an
 > > effect when scrollbars would otherwise appear. The multicol elements
 > > I'm trying to change don't have scrollbars in the block direction.
 >

 > Like so:
 > div {
 >   column-width: 20em;
 >   max-height: 200px; /* or 100%, or whatever */
 >   overflow: auto;
 >   overflow-mode: paginate;
 > }

I still don't quite understand. The code above seems to make the
multicol element (div) paged while the rest of the document is
continous. So, users would have a scrollable canvas with a 200px (or
whatever) high rectangle that uses a paged mode inside it?

To me it makes sense to have a "overflow-mode: paginate" (or whatever)
on the root element, but not to combine the two models in the same
document. If we had "overflow-mode: paginate", we wouldn't need to
constrain the height of the element -- it should automatically be
constrained by the viewport.

Could you elaborate on your proposal?

Cheers,

-h&kon