Re: [css3-multicol] column overflow

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:52:00 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:

 > So here's a completely different proposal: overflow-mode:paginate.
 >
 > The idea: if an element has overflow-mode:paginate and would have a
 > scrollbar in the block-progression-direction, instead of a regular scrollbar
 > presentation, paginate the content into individual "pagelets" and show page
 > navigation UI instead of the block-progression-direction scrollbar.

I like it. I think there's much to gain by making more page-oriented
presentations on screen.

How would it solve the problem at hand, though, if it only has an
effect when scrollbars would otherwise appear. The multicol elements
I'm trying to change don't have scrollbars in the block direction.

What would this mean?

  div {
    columns: 3;
    overflow-mode: paginate;
  }

Or, would you typically only apply it to the root element?

 > The biggest disadvantage that I can see is that there is then no way for the
 > user to view content from different horizontal column sets at the same time.

I think we can live with that. Print it!

-h&kon