Re: CSS3-selectors: Pseudo Elements only once or multiple times per selector?

On Oct 16, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Ludger Bünger wrote:
>
>> "When the ::first-letter and ::first-line pseudo-elements are
>> combined with ::before and ::after, they apply to the first letter
>> or line of the element including the inserted text."
>> Where is the mistake?
>
> OOOOOHHH...
> Ludger we're currently gong through a whole bunch of Selectors issue
> and
> you found here not a selectors issue but a CSS 2 and 2.1 spec issue.
>
> The prose in the CSS spec says:
>
>  When the :first-letter and :first-line pseudo-elements are combined
>  with :before and :after, they apply to the first letter or line of
> the
>  element including the inserted text.
>
>  Example(s):
>
>  p.special:before {content: "Special! "}
>  p.special:first-letter {color: #ffd800}
>
>  This will render the "S" of "Special!" in gold.
>
> So the wording of the 1st paragraph is entirely wrong ! It should read
> something like "when content is added before an element through the
> ::before pseudo-element, the ::first-letter or ::first-line
> pseudo-elements apply respectively to the first letter or line of the
> ::before content generated".
>
> Thanks for the good catch, we're filing a CSS issue!
>
> </Daniel>

So, you've removed the mention of ":after"? What about this:

p span:after {content: ", Daniel"}
p:first-line {color: #ffd800}

Shouldn't the first line of that all be the same color, including the
part generated after the span content? Your rewording seems to me to
have removed that.