Re: [css3-gcpm][css3-page] Page counters

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:52:29 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach fantasai:

 > > [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#page-counters

 > I'd rather keep the 'page' counter in css3-page.

Ok.

 > There's already a detailed
 > discussion of page-based counters in the Editor's Draft.
 >
 > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#page-based-counters

That's good. I don't think we should give the 'page' counter a
different scope than other counters, though. I'd like to be able to
reset the 'page' counter from any element, not just from the page
context. For example, in a book you may have:

And you want to reset the page counter at the first chapter. It seems
unnecessarily compex to have to define a named page for this purpose
when you could do:

Which is actually used in this document:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2005/ala/sample.html
  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2005/ala/sample.pdf

 > As for 'pages', I could go either way. We can add it to css3-page and mark
 > it at-risk; that would be my preference.

I'm fine with that as well.

-h&kon