Re: [css3-gcpm][css3-box] float

This is a problem for several reasons, most of them relating to text
directions. Could the group not find better words than the (multiply)
overloaded 'top', 'bottom', 'left', and 'right'? What about 'before'
and 'after' or 'start' and 'end'? When the text direction is left-to-
right with the line boxes stacking vertically, 'before' or 'start'
would float left. If the text direction is top-to-bottom with the
line boxes stacking right-to-left, 'before' or 'start' would float to
the top. Similarly with the converses. This way there is no confusion
such as is produced when the author says 'float: left;' and the box
floats to the top because the text is tb-rl.

Please get rid of the direction-specific words which change meaning
when the text direction changes. I recognize that they have been used
since the beginning, but to be useful in a multi-lingual world, CSS
should not be bound only to English standards. Find reasonable
equivalents and promote them, deprecating the older (and confusing)
wording.

On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:42 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach MURAKAMI Shinyu:
>
>> I found inconsistencies in the meaning of 'top' and 'bottom'
>> values of
>> the 'float' property in css3-gcpm and css3-box.
>>
>> In the recent css3-gcpm editors draft:
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#page-floats
>>
>>     top
>>         This keyword indicates that the element is floated to the
>> top of
>>         the containg block.
>>
>>     bottom
>>         This keyword indicates that the element is floated to the
>> bottom
>>         of the containg block.
>>
>> In the recent css3-box editors draft:
>> (unfortunately member-only)
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-box/#the-float
>>
>>     top
>>         Same as 'left'
>>
>>     left
>>         If 'block-progression' is 'tb', the element generates a
>> box that
>>         is floated to the left and content flows on the right side of
>>         the box (subject to the 'clear' property). If 'block-
>> progression'
>>         has a different value, the element generates a box that is
>>         floated to the top and content flows on the bottom side of
>> the
>>         box (subject to the 'clear' property).
>>
>>     bottom
>>         same as 'right'
>>
>>     right
>>         Similar to 'left', except the box is floated to the right (if
>>         'block-progression' is 'tb') or to the bottom (otherwise),
>> and
>>         content flows on the left or top side of the box.
>>
>> In the css3-gcpm, the element with "float: top" is floated to the
>> top of
>> the containing block and the element with "float: left" is floated to
>> the left regardless of the block-progression. But in the css3-box,
>> "float: top" is same as "float: left" and floated to the left or top
>> dependent on the block-progression.
>
> Hmm. Personally, I think the GCPM definitions makes more sense. I'm
> unsure why bottom=right and top=left in css3-box; they're probably
> there for a reason.
>
>> I guess the definition of the css3-gcpm's float values overrides
>> css3-box's when the UA supports the page floats. Is this right?
>
> I think we should resolve issue your raise and make sure there is only
> one definition of these keywords.
>
> Thanks for spotting it and reporting.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -h&kon
>               Håkon Wium Lie                          CTO °þe®ª
> howcome@opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome

</James>