Re: [css3-gcpm] border-length

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:54:33 +0100
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Right. Knuth also controlled the implemenation and didn't have to test
> combinatoral explosions in various browsers :)
>
> I'm intrigued by the power of expression and the elegant and humorous
> syntax for it. But, do we have a hard-hitting use case?

Well, I have to be honest and say that the current
emphasis on "use cases" is, to my mind, an fairly
major error of judgement.  We should not imagine
that we have the vision to see all the uses to which
CSS (or HTML) might be put.  Therefore, rather than
trying to base design decisions on "use cases",
I would rather they be informed by careful analysis.

If it would appear that (a) implementation is feasible
at reasonable effort, (b) that there would be no
conflict with existing features, and (c) that
it is /feasible/ (no more) that a "use case" may
emerge in the future, then I would support its
inclusion.   My two penn'orth, but others may
disagree.

Philip TAYLOR