Re: Selector Sugar

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>wrote:

>  Another possibility I think great for both your queries is :
>
>     #top-courses, #additionnal-courses {
>
>         @rule ul {
>             display: inline-block;
>         };
>
>         @rule h3 {
>             color: darkblue;
>          };
>
>         border: none;
>     }

I'd have to look, but I think that would mess with the parsing rules as
currently written.  I'd rather have an equivalent syntax that meshes more
naturally with existing content, like what you have below:

> An equivalent, with your proposals will be :
>
>     @scoped ( :any(#top-courses, #additionnal-courses) ) {
>
>         :root {
>             border: none;
>         }
>
>         ul {
>             display: inline-block;
>         }
>
>         h3 {
>             color: darblue;
>         }
>     }

 Looks like I didn't mention it, but my intention is for @scoped to accept
arbitrary selectors, not just simple selectors.  So (assuming :any() was
implemented) there would be nothing wrong with the above.  After all, being
able to avoid typing a single simple selector is a fairly minor benefit
(though I have a use-case in my current work that this would aid me with
quite a bit, as I explained in the original email), but sometimes one runs
into a situation where a fairly complex selector would be repeated over and
over again.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Brad Kemper <brkemper.comcast@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> (2) Multi-matching selector
>>
>> This was suggested just recently and also came up in the jQuery thread a
>> few moments ago, and I would also benefit greatly from this.  The idea is
>> that, rather commonly, you have to apply the same style across several
>> elements with different classes or whatnot.  This isn't burdensome when
>> you're writing a single group of selectors, but when you have a large chunk
>> of selectors that all have to be generalized you quickly run into a
>> nightmare of typing.  For example, in something I'm typing *right now*, I
>> have a lot of selectors which look like this:
>> #top-courses div.chapters h3, #additional-courses div.chapters h3 { ... }
>>
>> #top-courses and #additional-courses are two (of several) sections which
>> all share a similar structure, but they have some special styling needs that
>> set them apart from the others.  Right now I need to duplicate every
>> selector I make, which adds up to quite a few in this particular example.
>>  With a multi-matching combinator I could avoid the duplication.  It would
>> look something like this:
>> :any( #top-courses, #additional-courses ) div.chapters h3 { ... }
>>
>> ...with the :any pseudoclass being simple sugar that stands for any of the
>> selectors contained within it.  :any should accept arbitrary selectors,
>> separated by commas, since it's basically just performing a simple textual
>> substitution in the selector.  Though there are surely optimizations that
>> can be performed, in the simple case all that's needed is for the parser to
>> transform away the :any and produce two separate selectors to be handed to
>> the matcher.
>>
>> It is certainly possible for authors to get the same functionality by
>> going into the code and adding additional classes.  That's why this is
>> syntax sugar, not new functionality.  ^_^  Doing such means altering the
>> document when you just want to save some typing in the stylesheet, and
>> possibly leaks presentational classes into the document (some times you can
>> certainly come up with a semantic reason for the class, of course).  As
>> well, style authors don't always have access to the document source,
>> particularly in cases like writing up Stylish-like user-stylesheets.
>>

>> Thoughts on these proposals?  Any ideas for other simple bits of sugar
>> that would help us authors out?  I'm looking specifically for ones that
>> don't add new functionality, but rather only shorten the amount of typing we
>> have to do when writing styles.
>>
>> ~TJ
>>

> I agree that those would be valuable. There was some discussion back in
> February about "selector variables" (from Jens Meiert) and "selector
> constants" (from me), that were also syntactic sugar for selectors. They
> solved some of the same problems, but your ideas above do even better for
> certain cases. Your #1 above is actually pretty similar to how Alan Gresley
> misunderstood my proposal, which has value in its own right:

Cool.  I wasn't following the list back then, so thank you for pointing it
out.  Selector constants solve a similar problem to the @scoped rule, but
there they let you dump a complex selector anywhere within a selector.
@scoped misses out on this, but results in even *less* typing (using a
selector constant for a common prefix still means typing a prefix over and
over, even though it's shorter).  You're right that they both have
interesting value, and I can see a definite purpose for constants that would
make writing chunks of selectors more maintainable and easier to understand.

> I wonder if it might even be possible to leave out the @scoped, and just
> have it like this to do the same thing:
>
> #nav-menu {
> h1 {
>        //This is equivalent to the selector "#nav-menu h1",
>        //and so won't target <h1>s across the rest of the page.
>        }
> ul {
>        }
>        more rules...
> } //end of scope
>
> That would mean that the parser would have to not only look for property
> names inside the curly braces, but also for other selectors. And that way,
> not only is there less to write, but you could include styling for the base
> selector, like this:
>
> #nav-menu {
>        border: 2px solid red;
>        background-color: blue;
>

>        h1 {
>        //This is equivalent to the selector "#nav-menu h1",
>        //and so won't target <h1>s across the rest of the page.
>        }
>        ul {
>        }
>        more rules...
> } //end of scope

It would be slightly less writing, but now we're talking about the
difference of a couple characters, compared to the linear savings of the
proposal itself.  I don't see any particular reason to need this
simplification, but I don't think I'd be against it either.  I just suspect
it would be more work for implementors than adding in a new at-rule.

Styling the base selector could also be accomplished in one of two ways.
Either :root can have its meaning changed within the context of a @scoped
rule to refer to the scoping element (Francois implicitly used this
approach), or we can just go the brain-dead simple route of stating the base
selector by itself.  Frex:

#nav-menu {
  ... //for the nav-menu itself
}
@scoped ( #nav-menu ) {
  ... //for the children of nav-menu
}

I don't have a preference either way, but I have absolutely nothing against
the simple method here.