RE: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

I agree with you Chris and I'll add a few bits to (2):

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> > 2) Why they are variables and not constants?

I'll reverse the question and ask why shouldn't everything in
CSS be constants then? The same reasoning could be applied to
the current CSS rule scheme and we could have "first rule wins"
for everything, and no CSSOM modification after loading. We
could even lock down script modification of HtmlElement.class
and HtmlElement.style so all style and layout could be settled
once and for all during load-time.
Personally I wouldn't want it to function this way, maybe some
would, and I'd like to see variables use the same scheme as the
rest already do.

Talking about "run-time" modification of styles we already have
f ex the following support in current implementations that will
all lead to dynamic update of style/layout on elements:

- change class on an HTML element through DOM
- change properties on rule through CSSOM
- add/remove rules through CSSOM
- load a new style sheet through CSSOM
- element style inheritance of changes by above operations

Not offering run-time updates for variables would feel poor
considering the above list, especially since composite/complex
variables have the potential to become a main design element in
future CSS.

Best regards
Mike Wilson