Re: [CSSWG] Your opinion needed : Position of list-item markers

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Daniel Glazman

> On Wednesday 12 November 2008 20:32, Saloni Mira Rai wrote:
>
>> Scenario #2 - List-item has text-align set to center. Should the
>> marker be next to the text or outside the principal box? Firefox,
>> Opera and Safari put the marker right next to the text, within the
>> border of the list-item IE8 puts the marker outside the list-item.
>
> The CSS WG would like to have your opinion above the issue above.
> Please respond to this message in www-style@w3.org. Thanks !

If list-style-position is set to inside, the marker should follow the
text.  If it's set to outside, it should stay on the edge where it
would normally be.

This corresponds with reasonable intuition, plus if both follow or
both ignore, it's rather tricky to force it to do otherwise.

Same thing if text is right-aligned - inside makes markers follow (but
still be on the left side of the text) and outside makes it stay on
the left edge.  The marker-position: property (or whatever it's name
is) is the correct place to make the marker move to the right side,
not text-align:.

I don't know enough about proper conventions with rtl text to make any
judgement on that.