RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:21:35 -0800
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical@gmail.com>
CC: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:44 PM Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> There is almost certainly a large middle class of websites,
> such as those designed by professional contractors for
> businesses with lots of money to spend, whose designers will
> want to use retail fonts -- but these are not all websites,
> nor all web designers.  I suspect they're a fairly small
> minority, but even if not, they can't be assumed to be the
> same as web designers as a whole.

My survey (IIRC, I had about 330 web designers/developers respond) overwhelmingly showed the opposite.

But this is this kind of debate is a pointless sideshow. I won't engage on this other stuff any further, regardless of the provocation. Let's get on with the business of actually trying to make standards, shall we?