From: Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:40:31 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> What happened to Tahoma, does anyone know ?

Tahoma never was offered for download as one of the core fonts. It was
originally shipped with Microsoft Office 97 as the Office UI font (to
replace MS Sans Serif). Then it was also bundled with Windows 98 and
subsequent versions of Windows and Office.

An updated version of Tahoma that included the Euro character was posted
for download by Microsoft at some point. AFAIR, the EULA for the font
was different from the "web core fonts" and only allowed installation of
that download on Windows computers (while the web core fonts such as
Arial, Comic Sans, Trebuchet, Times New Roman, Verdana, Georgia, Courier
New and Webdings did not restrict this).

Therefore, Tahoma has not been widely available on older versions of,
say, Mac OS (it was only bundled with the Mac version of Microsoft
Office). I believe, however, that Tahoma is bundled in the more recent
versions of Mac OS X (10.4 or 10.5), but am not entirely sure.

Adam

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
(Hunter S. Thompson)