At 19:46  -0500 13/11/08, Grey Hodge wrote:
>On 11/13/2008 6:07 PM Thomas Phinney cranked up the brainbox and said:
>>  I have no doubt that "real DRM" such as that used for DVDs does reduce
>>  piracy. But that's not what's being proposed here.
>
>To veer off topic for a moment, but CSS, the DVD DRM method is completely and
>totally ineffectual and has been for the better part of a decade. There are
>numerous commercial, free, and even GPL tools to copy a DVD with just a few
>clicks of a mouse button. It is truly as easy to copy a DVD as it is to copy a
>CD or floppy.

No, it's really not.  You have to go out of your way to find that
software and use it.  You know you are getting around something,
whereas there is no such knowledge imparted when you copy a CD (and
what is this 'floppy' you speak of, earthling?).  In the the terms of
my previous message, maybe it's only a garden gate, but it is there,
and it does have an impact on the copying of DVDs.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.