From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:05:07 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> I would just trust the UA would do what it's supposed to do (unless a
+ hacker modified Firefox, but that's a different story). I don't think we
+ can prevent this with font licensing - a hacked Firefox version would
+ still be seen as Firefox, licensing restrictions won't help.

There is a hint in the above that "hacking" has negative connotations.
In the open sources world, creating variants is called "forking" and the
ability to do so is considered a desirable feature by people like the
Free Software Foundation.

David Woolley