2008/11/13 Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Mikko Rantalainen
> <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net> wrote:
>> I'd assume that Microsoft would implement a raw TTF font support in
>> their browser if it were supported by other major players (Mozilla,
>> Opera, Apple) and free fonts were used on web sites.
>
> Just like they speedily implement all the other web standards that
> every other browser already supports, right?

Well, give MSIE team some credit - they are getting a lot better than
they used to be say 7 years ago :-)

> Sure they'll do it if
> lots of websites depend on it, but until they do it, no website *will*
> depend on it.

Given the other thread on this list about the details of @font-face
cascading, I imagine most sites will simply have both EOT and OTF
versions of their fonts to support all browsers, without IE doing OTF
and without anyone else doing EOT.

> Would Microsoft even be willing
> to implement raw font file linking in conjunction with support for an
> obfuscated format,

That is definitely a key question in this discussion.

--
Regards,
Dave