From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:42:41 +0000
To: "Thomas Phinney" <tphinney@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

2008/11/13 Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com>:

>> You cannot have it both ways: either the same font file can be used
>> both
>> as a system font and web font or it cannot be used at all (in browser
>> or
>> in the system).
>
> Nonsense. Unless by "the" system you mean only free OSes.

I agree with Thomas; "system fonts" are those supported by all 3 major
OS font-loading systems (Windows, MacOS, GNU/Linux). Just one doesn't
count.

>> That is, unless you decide that you're not interested
>> in
>> free software (operating systems or browsers) users. In that case, I
>> wouldn't count on broad implementation.
>
> Or perhaps the font makers aren't *worried* about free
> software OSes. They just want to be sure that the web
> fonts won't work natively in Mac OS or Windows.

I take it that Microsoft and Apple will not add gzip to their OS
font-loading systems, so gzip accomplishes this aspect fine.

The real question here is not about the compression/obfuscation - as
long as its not patent encumbered and not hard to code an independent
implementation - but about requiring browsers to enforce root strings
on users, trampling their fair use rights.

Cheers,
Dave