RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:58:07 -0500
To: "Mikko Rantalainen" <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>, <www-style@w3.org>

On Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:37 AM Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

> Gustavo Ferreira wrote:
> > Op Nov 11, 2008, om 9:14 PM heeft Levantovsky, Vladimir het
> volgende
> > geschreven:
> >>
> >> I must respectfully disagree. Existing fonts only expose
> information
> >> on embedding restrictions, all other conditions such as
> scope of use
> >> and distribution, etc., are outlined in the actual font
> license and
> >> are not machine-readable.
> >
> > i agree with vladimir, current bits do not represent the terms for
> > font usage on the web.
> >
> > this proposal by fontlab attemps to do so:
> > http://www.eeulaa.org/open_type.html
>
> How would EEULAA prevent copyright violations? Anybody *must*
> be able to add their own EEULAA table to a font because
> anybody can create their own font (ignore the quality for
> now) and they must be able to express their *own* license for
> their own font. As such, tools to add/modify/remove EEULAA
> information from a font must be available for public.
>
> If the target is not to prevent copyright violations
> (implement DRM), then why are we having this whole discussion
> on this list?

There are different ways copyrights could be violated :
a) by producing a derivative work, when one can take a copy of the font,
edit the name, remove copyright notice and any references to the
original vendor, and substitute all this with his own info; or
b) by distributing copies of the original font (or making them available
to unlicensed users) without a proper license and/or without express
permission of the copyright owner.

I believe we can not do anything about a) but can address b) so that it
would not happen "by accident" and can only be a willful action.

Regards,
Vlad