Re: Selectors Tests

On Nov 12, 2008, at 5:29 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> e.g. Attaching an event listener that cancels the default action
> when clicked, and adding a class name like class="disabled" which
> can be used for styling.  (If authors are doing this, or something
> else that gives equivalent results, then please raise the issue on
> public-html and present the examples.)
>
> The reason to not have them without such use cases is that defining
> and implementing the feature has a cost and that cost needs to be
> justified.  If there aren't any real use cases, then authors aren't
> going to use it and then implementing it would be a waste of time
> and resources.
>
> Its a bit of a circular argument isn't it? You're saying that you
> need use cases in the wild in order to consider it, but any such use
> cases that exist go to show that it isn't needed because there are
> workarounds, since their existence would require workarounds. In my
> own case, I prefer to use A[nchor] tags instead of buttons or submit
> inputs, because I can style them much more reliably.
>
> I do, however, understand and accept your argument that it is an
> HTML issue first, before it is ever a CSS issue, if the CSSWG is
> absolved from determining on its own what is considered disable-able
> or not.
>
> No, he's saying that we *want* to provide easy ways for authors to
> do things that they want to do.  Employing workarounds indicates
> that there is a lack in the language that we can fix.  If there
> *are* no workarounds in popular use, that indicates that the feature
> probably isn't useful enough to authors to bother speccing and
> implementing.

Well, I have done the sort of thing described before. Except I used
the existing event handler, and had it set a variable attached to the
A element that tracked if it was enabled or not, and read that
variable to determine what action to take (error message, for
instance, or just nothing). It also added a class name to the element
that had the effect of coloring it gray, eliminating the hover effect,
and changing the cursor to the default.

But I don't have any examples that are currently live.