Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

From: Ralf Herrmann <post@opentype.info>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:19:57 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

bare font
 > files with same-origin restrictions, so it is unclear if font vendors
oppose
 > it.

If they don't like linking fonts without built-in URL-binding, they
won't like linking fonts without URL-binding but a same-origin
restriction, because it offers no additional security for the font
vendor. It is just a default hotlinking protection.
If someone would want to use the font without a license, he would just
need to visit a site that uses the font, fetch it from the cache and
upload it to a new website. Or they could install the font locally to do
print designs with it.  And these are the problems the font foundries fear.

Nethertheless, I think the combination of a same-origin rule and Access
Control Headers makes a lot of sense and I hope other browser will adapt
it.

Ralf