RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

Hi Tom,

Please see below.

The original MTX compression has been developed in mid-90 (i.e. in
pre-historic OT times) for TT fonts only. The compressor applies special
knowledge of all font tables to pre-process the font before doing
entropy coding, and then decompressor reverses that. Since OT today
shares the same font tables for both OT/TT and OT/CFF fonts, the answer
is yes - MTX compressor can be used on OpenType CFF fonts as well, all
we need to do is to add a couple of lines of code to add CFF table into
the mix. Like you said, the CFF table is already compressed, so the
compressor will simply add it to the compressed data stream "as is" and
the decompressor will put it back into the output font. All other tables
will be compressed the same way they are processed for OpenType TT
fonts.

Regards,
Vlad