RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

Hi David,

Just to set the things straight - the presence of embedding bits in a
font indicates embedding restrictions. No restrictions (fsType = 0) mean
"installable embedding allowed". Therefore, free fonts would have fsType
field cleared and a commercial font will indicate whatever level of
restriction is specified by the font license.

> If the font indicates it's freely usable, then the serving
> side MAY serve it as-is (but see below for recommendations).
>
> If it indicates it's not freely available, the serving side
> MUST 'obfuscate' the font in the chosen way, and it
> can/should also use the access control methods from the W3C.

So far so good.

> If a user-agent is requested to use an embedded font that is
> not labelled as freely usable, and that font is not
> 'obfuscated', the UA MUST refuse to use the font.

If by UA you mean a browser - this can not be the case. UA doesn't know
up front whether a font is freely usable or not - it will/should use
whatever embedded font is served, whether obfuscated or not. I would say
that at this point UA should trust the serving side has done the
checking and made the right choice.

> The UA must also implement the access control restrictions, and
> respect them if they are used (for anything, not just fonts).
>  The UA MUST take care that the font is not generally
> accessible to other applications while it's being used for
> the web site it's embedded for.  The UA should exercise
> reasonable care that it's not easy to find in its
> non-obfuscated state.
>
> The general font engines SHOULD NOT support the obfuscated
> state directly;  the web UA should de-obfuscate before
> passing it to the font engine.
>
> For any font downloaded off the web, we recommend subsetting,
> and compression.  Whether we need proprietary compression or
> something like gzip is good enough would be the subject of
> technical discussion.  We would recommend against using fonts
> that disallow subsetting (though for the life of me I cannot
> see why a font vendor would disallow it, or even why the
> capability to indicate that is there).

I understand your premise and I agree with you on subsetting
restrictions, but I am not sure the recommendation against using full
font makes sense - what if I use a single font for all my web content
and there is simply no need to subset it. Why would we recommend not to
use the font [that doesn't allow subsetting] when it, in fact, should be
up to a content author to decide. What we probably should do is to
recommend subsetting whenever possible.

Regards,
Vlad