From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:43:05 -0800 (PST)
To: Vladimir Levantovsky <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Hi Vladimir,

> 2) all fonts on the web will "cross the wire" MTX-compressed. I believe
> that making all web fonts MTX compressed would satisfy font vendors
> request #2, and no additional obfuscation of font data would be
> necessary.

So you're proposing the obfuscated format be MTX-compressed fonts?  Doesn't this leave out Postscript CFF OpenType fonts, fonts with an .otf extension, since MTX only compresses fonts with TrueType-style glyphs, files with .ttf extensions?  Many vendors, including Adobe, primarily ship .otf fonts.  This seems insufficient to cover those fonts.

Are you proposing that @font-face rules can't link against raw TT/OT files?  Or that web authors would choose raw TT/OT or MTX-compressed TT based on the font license?

Regards,

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan