Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:04:29 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

I think there are some things that could be done that would help
everyone.  One that comes to mind is simply  encouraging sub-setting
a font when it's embedded on the web.  I have been told that
sub-setting is disallowed by some (many?) font licenses.  It clearly
has the dual benefit of making the font smaller (usually much
smaller) and much much less useful outside its intended context.  If
I set a headline in a fancy font, a subset is likely to carry only a
few glyphs (down from a few thousand).
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.