Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

Thomas Phinney wrote:
> With regards to root strings and staging servers, why not simply
> specify *both* the staging URL(s) and the real ones in the root
> string field?

Speaking with my web developer hat on, having to do that for each and
every domain I test a site on during development would be a huge
inconvenience.

I have a webserver running on several of my machines (Desktops and
laptops), each of which I often use at different times and places while
working on the same site.  Depending on which machine I have the site
running on at a given time and which machine or virtual I'm accessing it
from, the domain used to access it could be any one of the following:

* localhost or 127.0.0.1
* Each machine's LAN IP at home, for accessing from the others
* ComputerName.local - The names each of the machines on the LAN at home.
* My Laptop's LAN IP at work, which changes relatively frequently
* 192.168.0.2 - The IP needed to access the local web server from within
a virtual machine (sometimes this changes, depending on how the network
is configured).
* Other staging servers
* Production server

I've probably missed some, but to be forced to include each potential
domain or ip address that I may test a site from within the font file
would be a huge inconvenience, especially if I missed one and needed to
get it added.  This would get even worse in a team environment where
each developer is running a copy of the site on their own local machine
for testing their changes before checking them into the central repository.

The fact is the DRM will do nothing to prevent piracy, but will still
get in the way of honest developers.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/