Re: [gcpm] border-parts

On Nov 6, 2008, at 6:38 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Grant, Melinda:
>
>> I agree the preferred behavior should be to present it as early in
>> the page stream as possible. We may find more reasons that it must
>> be delayed, so I would lose the 'while' clause as superfluous. Also
>> if we're going to allow multiple items to flow to the same named
>> page, it won't be new anymore. And the element may not all resolve
>> to a single page sheet. How about:
>>
>>         The element is floated to one or more page sheets styled
>>         according to the named page, which are created for the
>>         purpose of showing the element. Such floated pages are
>>         printed as immediately after the page from which they are
>>         displaced as possible. If this element is not the first
>>         page float to be displaced from this page area to this page
>>         name, its contents should begin on the last page sheet of
>>         the floated page sequence previously established (unless
>>         precluded, for example by page-breaking properties).
>
> We're getting closer. I suggest:
>
>   The element is floated to one or more named pages of the type
>   specified. These named pages are created for the purpose of showing
>   the element, and they are presented as early as possible after the
>   page from which they are displaced. If the element is not the first
>   page float to be displaced from the current page

Oops -- you might want to add "or from earlier pages" -- Otherwise,
the spec. does not consider the possibility of multiple earlier pages
'floating' to a later named page. Without this phrase, it seems to me
that the sentence says that each new page with 'float(name)' would
start a new page, not continue after all other floats which might
have been sent to that named page, whether they came from the current
page or from earlier pages.

I would also prefer (but not require) that the first sentence be
clarified as to the reason the element might be floated to more than
one page -- I guess because the element would not fit and could be
split, but this is not very clear.

> to the specified
>   named page, its contents should continue on the last of the
>   previously established named pages (unless precluded, for
> example, by
>   page-breaking properties).
>
> -h&kon
>               Håkon Wium Lie                          CTO °þe®ª
> howcome@opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome

</James>