Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:08:57 +1100
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Hi Håkon,

> This is good compromise, I believe. We identify a few strategic bytes
> in TTF/OT files, and XOR them. This makes them uninstallable without
> special tools.

On Linux any font recognisable by FreeType can be installed.

We would need to extend FreeType to support these DRM'd fonts in order
that Mozilla, Prince, and other web user-agents that run on Linux could
load them.

Ergo, the DRM'd fonts would in short order be installable on Linux and
other platforms using FreeType such as Solaris.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!