[css3-namespace] published as CR

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:02:44 +0200

The CSS WG published a Candidate Recommendation for the CSS Namespaces
Module. A Candidate Recommendation is a stable specification in W3C's
opinion, but one that still needs to see some use in real life before
becoming a W3C Recommendation.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/CR-css3-namespace-20080523

It defines the '@namespace' rule, which is the missing piece to make
Selectors work in CSS, or at least those selectors that select elements
by their XML Namespace rather then by their names or attributes.

So please, start implementing!

In this case, we actually believe many implementers have already
implemented it, but we need to set up the test suite and test reports
before we can be sure. We hope to have some test results as early as
September.

There were only few comments on the last working draft and all were
accepted by the WG: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-namespace/issues-2

More feedback is still welcome, on this mailing list, as usual:
<www-style@w3.org>. Please, prefix the subject of all relevant messages
with [css3-namespace] as I did on this message.

Contributions to the test suite, test reports, etc. are also welcome.
The preferred place for that is another mailing list:
<public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

The test suite will be based on (or maybe even the same as) the
Selectors test suite: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/#css3-selectors

For the CSS WG,
Bert