Re: [CSS 21] overflow:hidden adjacent to a float

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:52:09 -0500
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Alan Gresley wrote:
> I disagree here Boriz. These site must break or you render
> overflow:hidden useless for authors to use when these these elements are
> adjacent to floats.

You're welcome to your opinion; I'm just pointing out that with a
fixed-width parent (which is not the case in Ingo's testcase!) the
narrowing needs to happen if UAs are going to implement the spec.  No
one _likes_ it, that I know of, but it's needed if users will actually
use the browser.

With a shrink-to-fit parent, as here, I agree that it might make sense
to increase the shrink-to-fit width appropriately, if someone can figure
out a sane behavior for it.

-Boris