[css3-background] alternatives to background-origin (was: Issues and Proposed Resolutions)

On Monday 19 May 2008 07:30, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2008-05-13 23:28 -0700, fantasai wrote:

Related to ISSUE-13 (and ISSUE-24):

> > Rename 'background-origin' to 'background-box'
> >   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/46 ISSUE-46
> >
> >   Resolve: Bert and I tentatively accept this suggestion, but are
> > open to better names.
> >
> >   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20080512#l-715
> >   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20080513#l-3
>
> I don't think this is a good name, since it then becomes unclear how
> the property is different from 'background-clip'.  Given that there
> are *two* boxes involved (currently called origin and clip), I don't
> think either should just be called "box".

I suspect there exists a solution that uses one property less, probably
the 'background-origin' property, because that is the one whose effect
is the most indirect. But what might that solution be?

Adding the keywords of 'background-origin' on 'background-position'
and 'background-size' is one way, but it means the keywords (sometimes)
have to be repeated on two properties.

Merging 'background-origin' and 'background-clip' might be another. If
it is true (as some people expect) that the clip rectangle and the
origin will either be the same or will be as they were in CSS2, then of
the current 12 possible combinations of clip and origin, we only
actually need 5:

    background-clip: border-box | padding-box | content-box |
        no-clip | normal

The first three set both the clip rectangle and the origin rectangle for
computing size and position to the given box. The last two set the
origin rectangle to the padding edge (the default, and the only one in
CSS2) and set the clip rectangle to the border edge and the viewport,
resp.

Does this inspire anybody?

Bert