Re: box-shadow and features

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 03:40:35 -0500
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

On May 16, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On May 15, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>>> Inner Box Shadow:
>>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/44 ISSUE-44
>>> There have been quite a few comments about adding such a feature,
>>> or at least an "inner glow" feature (which this would address).
>> I really don't think that issue 44 is suggesting that an Inner Box
>> shadow should be drawn outside of the box. That just wouldn't make
>> sense. Therefore, issue 32 is only about "outer" shadows, as they
>> currently exist in the spec. I take "drawn outside the element's
>> border-box" to mean that it doesn't matter if the inside of the box
>> is transparent or only partially opaque, because the (outer)
>> shadows will not be drawn there.
>

> That the point with Issue 32. I have always believed that box-shadow
> should be seen through a transparent background. The same as text-
> shadow works.

The problem with the box-shadow being seen through a transparent
background is that people expect box-shadow to work on boxes that
don't specify an explicit background.  For example if a box has a
border but a transparent background, box-shadow should stlll work.
Unlike text-shadow, box shadows are not really "cast" by anything.

dave