From: George Williams <gww@silcom.com>
Date: 2008/3/26
Subject: Re: [Fontforge-devel] fontforge mime type?
To: Kevin Fenzi <kevin-sourceforge@scrye.com>
Cc: fontforge-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 19:01, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> MimeType=application/x-fontforge-spline-font-database
As I look through RFC4288
  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4288.txt
if I want to register a type, then
 application/vnd.fontforge-sfd
would be more appropriate

However I don't see any font types registered with IANA.
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
I find this disturbing. I think it's far more important to have a mime
type for truetype or opentype than for sfd files.
  Especially since if fontforge.desktop is to contain information on
what mimetypes fontforge will open, then these (and type1, type3, cff,
...) types should be defined there too.

I also see a(n ancient) proposal for a top-level font mime type on the
w3c site
   http://www.w3.org/Printing/chase.html
If this is still in the works it might be prudent to wait for a font
type to come out and then register under it. In that case it might make
sense to start with an "x-" type (rather than try and register a "vnd."
type) until a standard convention for fonts has been established.

Top level mime types need to be registered by a "recognized standards
body". Which means I can't do it.