Re: box-shadow and features (was [css3-background] Issues and Proposed Resolutions)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 18:58:11 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

Alan Gresley wrote:

> Well this is how the minus value for spread would work (I presume). The
> darkest part of the shadow become smaller.
> ----------------
> |              |
> |              |
> |              |
> |       XXXXXXX|XX
> |       XXXXXXX|XX
> --------X-X-X-X|XX
>         XXXXXXXXXX
> Thus emulating perspective.

Quote: "In graphic representation, an artist uses intuitive, artistic,
scientific, or technical skills to represent the phenomenon of the
visual perception of perspective. In simpler terms, these skills are
used to add a suggestion of depth to what is ultimately a flat image or

The flat canvas is the monitor but using highlights, shadows and colors
you can emulate depth of field or perspective.

The same way as all of the great artist did centuries ago. Instead of
paint brushes and a fabric canvas we have CSS and the canvas (monitor).
Pardon my old art school training, I am artist and my tool now is CSS. :-)