Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On May 12, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>
>> Using just blur and a border I have emulated your spread (which I have
>> called depth). View in Safari 3. Here with outer.
>>
>> http://css-class.com/test/css/shadows/box-shadow-blur-offset-light.htm
>>
>> And inner.
>>
>> http://css-class.com/test/css/shadows/box-shadow-blur-offset-dark.htm
>>

> Sorry, but no. That is not at all the same thing, and looks like the
> poor simulation that it is. No offense.

Perhaps what Brad is trying to point out, or, at least, what I want to know, is:
How, then, do you give your box a border? Elements that have borders but are
"far away" from the canvas should have some kind of spread.

Also, I would like to respectfully request that demonstrations be made available
in some sort of image format instead of using already-implemented proprietary
CSS extensions. The algorithms used to compute these might change from build to
build, or change in different window sizes, and they may prevent us from
discovering better ways to think about a property. (No offense meant to the
teams who code said algorithms.) Images are the only way to ensure that things
are being seen identically by all parties.

Eli Morris-Heft
dai@doublefishstudios.com