Re: [CSS2.1] syntax: url() and unexpected end of (line / style sheet)

From: Zachary Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: Christof Hoeke <csad7@t-online.de>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

----- "Christof Hoeke" <csad7@t-online.de> wrote:

> the question remains *why* URI is a token and why the definition for
> FUNCTION is not used instead, it would actually simplify the tokenizer
> as well.

Yeah, I would like to know that myself - but even if it remains
a token, it could be changed to use the same completion rules as
FUNCTION.

> I always explained it to myself that if an URI is cut off it may be
> totally different than the value meant and so better be removed
> altogether (contrived examply: e.g. "url(some.gif.jpg)" could be cut
> e.g. "url(some.gif" and if the completion rule of FUNCTION would be
> used would end up "url(some.gif)"...)

This argument can be applied to *all* constructs not
properly closed at EOF.  E.g. rgb(12,12,12<EOF> maybe should have been
rgb(12,12,129) which is a very different color.

zw