Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

Brad wrote:

> My feeling is that once you need to start dealing with non-rectangular
> shapes other than text, and with variable shadow strengths on a single
> element (masks) and color gel effects (transmittance), that you are going
> way beyond what most HTML authors would need. Perhaps it would be more
> appropriate for SVG, where there is more of a focus on the ability to do
> more complex renderings.
>
> I do think that being able to thicken or thin the shadow size without
> hacking the border (spread) would be more commonly used in HTML, as would
> being able to cast a shadow with a box as though the box was cut out of the
> surrounding area (inner/outer casting).

Good point, so the transmittance should be moved to SVG since it's more like
a graphical effect than a layout and style feature. That makes sense.

I can also see myself use the spread property, so I do support that.

---

On Francois Remy's question about more features, read this about
'shadow-mask':
Shadow mask can either be 'none' or 'mask'. If mask is set then the shadow
won't be drawn behind the object. See this as an example:
http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shadowtrancemaskyq0.png
In the right column the shadow can't be seen behind the semi-transparent
object. This is useful if you just want the shadow to be artistic while it
should not disturb the content (mostly text). But you can also turn it off
if you want the shadow to be seen behind a .png logo with transparent parts.