Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 9, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>
>> box-shadow: 4px -3px 1em() blue;
>>

>> Does that look confusing to you?
>>

> I don't think we need to be adding functional notation to distance
> measurements. I would require a whole new way yo tokenize the
> measurement, would not be backwards compatible with the way shadows work
> today (in WebKit, for instance), and offers no advantage over just
> inserting a space before the keyword instead.

Well that the whole point, being backwards compilable. Lets say maybe in
2010 someone codes.

box-shadow: 4px blue;

What does that mean? Is that shorthand for this?

box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px blue;
/* horizontal % vertical offset with blur radius */

Anything else added must be different to be compatible with the current
implementation of Safari. That why the blur type or shadow type would
appear as such.

box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px(?) blue;

If depth of field (one point perspective) was added, where does it go?

In the future I could have.

box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px blue; /* Safari */
box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px(?) blue; /* future implementations */

The later being used by future implementations since it appears earlier
in the cascade thus overruling the former declaration. We had a similar
discussion many months ago concerning the background property, remember?

Maybe we should into the tokenism issues. A rushed mistake now could
effect how things could be added in the future.

Alan