Re: [CSS21] Why are browser default style values different from Appendix D

On Tuesday 2008-05-06 23:04 +1000, Alan Gresley wrote:
> I guess what you are referring to is this part of appendix D.
>
> ol ul, ul ol,
> ul ul, ol ol    { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0 }

Gecko has rules that do this:
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=/mozilla/layout/style/html.css&rev=3.216&mark=346-354#346

> I would like to see a gap between each unordered list. Now to say that
> IE7 shows no vertical margins is not correct [1]. This would indicate
> that all implementations (including IE5, IE6, IE7 and IE8) are doing
> something different to appendix D.
>
> I would suggest this change (or similar) to match existing behavior.
>
> ol ul, ul ol,
> ul ul, ol ol    { margin-top: 16px; margin-bottom: 16px }

I don't see how the test page you give is related to this rule
in Appendix D.  The test page does not contain any nested lists.
Gecko certainly has zero margins on nested lists; I haven't checked
other implementations.  (Unfortunately, HTML nested list structure
makes it hard to distinguish nested lists that are part of a single
list structure from a separate list that happens to be inside a list
item.)

Also, the default margins are more likely to be '1em' than '16px'.

-David