Re: [CSS21] Why are browser default style values different from Appendix D

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 23:04:03 +1000
To: Saloni Mira Rai <salonir@microsoft.com>
CC: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, "Ph. Wittenbergh" <jk7r-obt@asahi-net.or.jp>, CSS <www-style@w3.org>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>

Saloni Mira Rai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The bug you are talking about is not relevant here because the default margins being set are auto (resolved to 0) whether the container hasLayout=true or false. (Arron is the creator of these tests and can explain further if needed.)
>
> Also, IE7 data does not really impact the discussion here. Majority of existing implementations are doing something different (from IE7 and the spec) in this case.
>
> Thanks,
> Saloni

Hello Saloni

I guess what you are referring to is this part of appendix D.

ol ul, ul ol,
ul ul, ol ol    { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0 }

As an author I would prefer my list to show what all implementations are
showing. For this markup,

<ul>
<li>Item</li>
</ul>

<ul>
<li>Item</li>
</ul>

I would like to see a gap between each unordered list. Now to say that
IE7 shows no vertical margins is not correct [1]. This would indicate
that all implementations (including IE5, IE6, IE7 and IE8) are doing
something different to appendix D.

I would suggest this change (or similar) to match existing behavior.

ol ul, ul ol,
ul ul, ol ol    { margin-top: 16px; margin-bottom: 16px }

[1] http://css-class.com/test/css/defaults/unordered-list.htm

Alan