Re: WebFonts ready for use

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:20:42 +0100
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Erik Dahlström" <ed@opera.com>, "Brad Kemper" <brkemper@comcast.net>, "Paul Nelson" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

2008/5/3 David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
> >
> > 2008/5/2 Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>:
> >>
> >> Similarly, the <embed> element in HTML embeds a resource
> >> that is loaded by dereferencing an external URL.
>
>> I can't understand what "dereferencing an external URL" means, sorry :-(
>
> It means fetching the resource pointed to by that URL and embedding a
> rendering of that resource in the rendered version of the referencing page,
> as also done for image, rather than simply rendering a link to the resource.

Okay, thanks for explaining; I understand this to be "displaying
inline" but thats informal usage picked up from web designers I know.

I think that is still "linking" in the terms of this discussion.

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#embedded1 defines "embedding" for the
context of HTML5, and is also "linking" in terms of this discussion.

--
Regards,
Dave