Re: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)

David Hyatt wrote:

> So Microsoft can propose cool new ideas like:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-grid-20070905/
>
> ...and have them worked on because they happen to fall under the scope
> of the current charter?
>
> However when Apple proposes something that happens to lie outside the
> scope of the current charter, your response is "No! We shouldn't do that!"
>
> While I can understand that your engine is struggling to play catch-up
> after years of neglect on your company's part, that's no excuse for
> holding the rest of the Web back.  Some of us have largely completed
> CSS2.1 and would like to see CSS improve significantly in the coming years.
>
> Finally, Silverlight implements many of these ideas and is being pushed
> for use on the Web.  I guess "cool" is ok when it's part of your
> company's proprietary technology stack.

David, like it or not, Paul has a point : the CSS WG has not released a
single REC in ten years...
Whatever is the interest of your proposals, zilch, low, high
or fantastic, prioritizing our work is in itself a priority
and we must push our existing CRs to REC. It's not only a question
of standard, it's also a more complex question of IPR. And that's why we
absolutely need the discussions on the charter we're going to have
tomorrow.
I hope you agree with that.

</Daniel>